Produits VirtuelsBest GPS

Ga Names for Fruits, Plants, Animals, Birds

Ga Names for Fruits, Plants, Animals, Birds

Postby Admin on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:49 pm

On a trip to Ghana I was enjoying some soursop (one of my favourite fruits) when someone mentioned a local Ghanaian name for that fruit.

The name they gave me sounded like "a-la-gwin-ta-gwee" which could have been either Ga or Twi. Years later someone told me one of the local Ghanaian names for soursop but I have since forgotten it.

After thinking about this... and picking some soursop this evening, I would like to get as many Ga words as possible for the names of Fruits, Plants, Animals and Birds.

Oyiwala doŋ!

Kwame the Webmaster.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ga Names for Fruits, Plants, Animals, Birds

Postby Martin on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 am

Hello Kwame,

First of all thanks for this website. I'm trying to learn Ga, and your dictionary has been a great help.
I will give you the few names that I've learned of fruits, plants and animals (the spelling might not always be correct, since I've learned all the Ga I know orally):

tree (also: wood or stick) = tsho
coconut = akoshi
coconut tree = akoshi tsho
pine-apple = blofume
orrange = akotu
peanut = nketia
chicken - wuoh
snail = waa
dog = gbe
cat = alonte
eagle = akropong
Martin

Postby Admin on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Martin,

Thanks for the contributions, thanks for the encouragement, and thanks for joining the forum.

Your words will be added to the dictionary very soon. There are lots of new entries waiting to be added but I have to wait until I get enough time to attend to that. Our first anniversary is coming up soon on June 13th, so it seems a good time to do something to mark the occasion.

Please take care.

Regards.
Kwame the Webmaster.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby abenanom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 am

abenanom

Postby osuganyo on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 pm

peanut = nkatie
sour sop = aluguntugun
orange = akutu
eagle = akropong????
hawk = laaloo
osuganyo

Postby Razz on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:23 pm

I hope this group is still active. I am an Akan and have two room mates who are Gas and we currently reside in Canada. We are debating about the Generic term used for BIRDS in Ga. Can anyone help us. I remember back in Teshie we use to call them Piuo! They think its funny and its no word. Does anyone remember the generic name for birds in Ga. Thanks.
Razz

Return to Wulomei